Chinglish

Chinglish

May 14, 2010
Will Yang
6 comments

I was washing dishes and listening to CBC, and this guy was talking about Chinglish.  That sure grabbed my attention.  So I decided to google it up.  It turned out that there is a huge market about Chinglish.  There are all these funny signs from China, and they make you laugh!  But after the laughter, you start to think, man, there IS a problem.  Here are some of the signs:

Then I looked up this guy who was on CBC chatting about writing his PhD paper on Chinglish, but I cannot find him.  This is the closest I got: http://www.cbc.ca/news/photogalleries/chinglish/ If you know the name of this person who’s writing a paper on Chinglish, please let me know because I would love to read it.

Other articles I found about Chinglish are:

6 Comments

1. Shelle May 14, 2010at 12:52 am Reply

It’s funny but I’m sure the same thing happens when we try to write things in Chinese… or mispronounce something.

Also, Will, you are beyond awesome! You picked up our slang and everything like it was nobody’s business.

• Will May 14, 2010at 12:52 am Reply

Haha, thanks Shelle. You’ve helped me with my English numerous times! so thank U for being such an awesome teacher 🙂

2. Jana May 14, 2010at 12:52 am Reply

I actually randomly heard this on the radio while driving the other day as well! I thought it was neat that someone would do an academic paper on this.

And there is a Japanese counterpart, as well: http://www.engrish.com/ (looks like they have a couple Chinese/Chinglish pics on their site, too).

• Will May 14, 2010at 12:52 am Reply

That’s a funny website. I like the one that says, “To ilet – The Oriental spirit”. I thought I was the oriental spirit, but I guess they picked the toilet over me. What a big confidence booster 😉

It is interesting that someone would write an academic paper on Chinglish. This guy also went on and talked about how this has become a problem in China in terms of how China is demonstrating itself to the world. Most of his Chinglish signs are approved by the government officials of Shanghai province, but the signs don’t make any sense. He pointed out that to the Chinese government, if anything that looks foreign, then that’s good and let’s show the world that we, too, know English. He also said that China has no time for proofreading because it’s trying to produce, produce and produce. I mean, this guy, who’s German, is hitting a lot of big topics. Hence, my interest in his linguistic, sociological and economical points of view on China.

3. Anya May 14, 2010at 12:52 am Reply

Hmmmm…maybe if we ever move to China for a while, I could be an official proof reader? 😉
    Better than teaching ESL I think.
    xo

• Will May 14, 2010at 12:52 am Reply

Haha, that would be good! You can start a consulting firm to the government for translation departments and do a lot of Gan-Beis to promote the business 😀 My dad would be very proud of you … with your ability to drink.