- Born in Hunan and spent teenage years in Guangdong, China.
- Now living in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada with wife and two children.
- Passionate about health and fitness. Enjoy sports and outdoor activities. Love meeting people from all cultures.
- Academic degrees (B.Sc. and M.Sc.) are in Health Informatics.
- Was a public servant in the Province of British Columbia, Canada, for nine years (2009-2018).
- Now working for the Canadian Institute for Health Information in the Victoria office.
M.Sc. Health Information Science. University of Victoria. September 2010 – June 2015
- Thesis: Applying Qualitative System Dynamics to Enhance Performance Measurement for a Sustainable Health System in British Columbia
B.Sc. Health Information Science. University of Victoria. September 2001 – June 2007
NSCA-CPT (National Strength and Conditioning Association – Certified Personal Trainer). June 2007
BCRPA (British Columbia Recreation and Park Association) Personal Trainer Certification. August 2003
Program Consultant, Analytics and Special Projects. Canadian Institute for Health Information. Victoria, BC. February 2018 – Present
Acting Director. BC Ministry of Health. Victoria, BC. May 2017 – February 2018
- Directed the analysis and reporting of health system performance: Integrated Board Report, Health System Performance Report, and Cross Sector Priority Area Report.
- Supported the Ministry and Health Authority Service Plan process for the Central Government.
- Oversaw the Office of the BC CIHI Relations functions and responsibilities.
Performance Management Lead. BC Ministry of Health. Victoria, BC. June 2016 – May 2017
- Evaluated Ministry-funded health programs and policies
- Led teams to measure, monitor and report on health system performance
- Produced performance and evaluation reports, advanced analytics, and government briefing materials
Team Lead, Operational Services and Analytics. BC Ministry of Health. Victoria, BC. October 2015 – May 2016
Supervised a team of analysts and consultants to manage the reporting of provincial health administrative, clinical, and financial data from three major databases:
- Management Information System (MIS),
- Mental Health and Substance Use Minimum Reporting Requirements (MHSU MRR), and
- Home and Community Care Minimum Reporting Requirements (HCC MRR).
Developed, coordinated and implemented provincial health initiatives and projects required for knowledge management, information analysis, and data collection and reporting.
Project Lead, Health System Performance Management. BC Ministry of Health. Victoria, BC. June 2014 – October 2015
Developed, published and maintained branch products and documents including:
- BC health system performance management framework,
- Performance reports (e.g. Provincial scorecard, Pay for performance),
- Program area reports (e.g. Alternate level of care, Integrated care),
- Business cases (e.g. IM/IT acquisition),
- Request for proposals (e.g. Strategic planning, Analytics projects), and
- Operational strategies (e.g. Public reporting, Performance measurement).
Practiced the science and art of performance measurement in the BC health system:
- Science: applied statistical, mathematical, and economical methods to measure BC health system performance with appropriate health indicators and available administrative, financial and clinical data.
- Art: worked with health authority representatives to measure, monitor and report on the performance of the BC health system.
Reported on the BC health system performance to diverse groups of audience:
- Ministry executives,
- Health authority leadership boards, and
- The public.
Executive Coordinator. BC Ministry of Health. Victoria, BC. March 2013 – June 2014
- Researched health topics: Patient centred measurements (Patient Reported Outcomes Measurement, Patient Reported Experience Measurement, How’s Your Health, Canadian Community Health Surveys), Health systems performance management, Learning Systems Network.
- Coordinated performance measurement, evaluation and data collection for Ministry of Health funded initiatives: Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning System, Integrated Primary and Community Care, Pay for Performance, Innovation and Change Agenda.
- Prepared branch and division materials such as internal and external presentations, briefing notes, project plans, branch visioning, organizational strategy, financial planning, and resource allocation.
Performance Management Analyst. BC Ministry of Health. Victoria, BC. July 2012 – June 2014
Provided support in performance management and monitoring framework, policy and research analysis for all Ministry program areas.
Health information Analyst. BC Ministry of Health Services. Victoria, BC. April 2009 – July 2012
Connected the dots in mental health and substance use data to provide quality and timely information to the government of British Columbia, six local health authorities, and other stakeholders.
Group Fitness Instructor. Ian H. Stewart Complex. Victoria, BC. April – December 2012
Taught indoor cycling and TRX suspension trainer classes
Personal Trainer. Ian H. Stewart Complex. Victoria, BC. August 2007 – February 2012
Taught exercises and promoted daily physical activities to integrate with mental and social health in order to help clients achieve a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
Clinical Data Coordinator. PRA International. Victoria, BC. June 2007 – April 2009
Coordinated clinical data to ensure the accuracy of pharmaceutical information for Clinical Research Associations (CRAs).
Researcher/Project Assistant (Co-op). Canadian Institute for Health Information. Victoria, BC. September – December 2006
System Analyst. Teekay Shipping (Canada) Ltd (Co-op). Vancouver, BC. January – April 2006
Enterprise Data Dictionary Assistant (Co-op). Interior Health Authority. Kelowna, BC. May – August 2005
Strength Trainer. Ian H. Stewart Complex. Victoria, BC. September 2003 – December 2007
Foundation of weight training. It taught me the basis of human physiology and led me to another level of training: holistic fitness.
Cashier. International Grill. University of Victoria. BC. August 2002 – August 2003
Professional Learning Lead. Canadian Evaluation Society British Columbia and Yukon Chapter Executive Council. December 2017 – Present
Area Director. Area 13, Division B, District 21. Toastmasters International. July 2017 – Present
President. Belmont Babblers Toastmasters Club. July 2016 – June 2017, July 2011 – June 2012.
Revised on February 12, 2018